Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Das Wettringer Modellbauforum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 19:39

1/24 Bedford TM 4x4 and Bedford TM 6x6 Scratchbuilds

I wonder what is in the Box ???????

It is the Cab and parts for the Bedford TM that Howard Whitehead of Kit Form Services sold me a long while ago !!!!!!! From what I remember, Howard gave me his last copy and bits available from the run he did.

Having wanted a model of this truck I got to drive in the TA to build, I was only too glad to get what I could from KFS knowing full well that any re-run of the kit might be a long time off, if ever at all.

Howard gave me what he could at the time, and I am grateful to him for that.

No instructions though, so I think I am going to have fun guessing the parts from comparing with an Army parts manual on the TM that a friend has just provided me with.

Thanks Neil for your help. Information will be a great help on this one.

I haven't opened the bags, but I can see that there is a good selection that will make my life a bit easier

Since the info I have is mainly on the 4X4 Eight Tonne, it is likely that I will go for that, although, if I can source seven wheels and tires of the right size, I might be persuaded to go for the 6X6 Fourteen Tonne.

And this is what I hope it will look like at the end

and

Have made a start on my first ever attempt at scratchbuilding a wheel and tire so wish me luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does help if you get the diameter right, but I think I used one of my photocopies that had a bit over large and I am putting this down to rushing to prepare for the model club night.

So this one is going to be a practice piece that I am going to keep shaving and sanding down to the tread size. I am then going to try my pyrograve on it for the tread pattern. If it proves to be a problem I will sand it beyond the tread and try the add on method instead.

Will be a long process, but hopefully worth it !!!!

That is the blank formed and ready for some setting out of the tread. Had a snow storm with the amount of plastic I had to shed first. Note to self get the basic diameter a bit closer next time !!!!!!!!!!!!

So far this process has been far easier than I thought and really quite therapeutic.

Will try to mark it out tomorrow and make a start with the pyrograve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Nige

Hubra

Realname: Michael

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 19:43

Hallo Nige.

Die maximal erlaubte Bildergröße hier im Forum beträgt 800 x 800 Pixel.
Bitte dieses kurzfristig zu ändern.

Gruß Micha.

Ab jetzt könnt ihr eure Bilder direkt in eure Beiträge einstellen!

Realname: Daniel

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 22:08

Hi Nigel.

Another great project, I´m looking forward to another great model. The cab and the PE-parts seems to be high quality, so I´m sure your result also will :ok:
Good work on the tires so far, not easy wjit this kind of lathe.

Regards
Daniel
ALFA ROMEO - Geschmack macht einsam!

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 05:25

Hi Hubra

My photos have been uploaded through Photobucket and I cannot see any tools on there to allow me to adjust the picture settings !!!!!!!!!!! Have you any idea as to how I go about resetting the picture sizes ????????

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if the pics are not good !!!!!!!!!!!

All the very best from sunny Scotland

Nigel

Hallo Nige.

Die maximal erlaubte Bildergröße hier im Forum beträgt 800 x 800 Pixel.
Bitte dieses kurzfristig zu ändern.

Gruß Micha.

Ab jetzt könnt ihr eure Bilder direkt in eure Beiträge einstellen![/quote]

Realname: Hatti

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 09:54

:wink: Hi Nigel

Oh, that's an great project. I'm looking forward to your building report. Lots of fun and good succeed. :thumbup:

regards from Austria :five:
da Hatti :ok:

ATKINSON, Feuerw VMR 100EP10, ALVIS STALWART, IVECO, ASTRAN Scania, BÜSSING Nahost, MAGIRUS, MB Kurzhauber, KRUPP V8, KRUPP 1060, Bulli T1, SCAMMELL Recovery, AUTOCAR Tanker, LAND ROVER 109, Schrott KRUPP V8, CITROËN Kebab,

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 12:01

Hi Nige,

i use photobucket as well and it works great here. There are of course optiones to modify your picturesize. If you´ve signed in to photobucket and klick the "upload" button and take a look at the "upload to ... album" button. Atop of it is the tool to "customize your upload options". Klick it and choose your size. Once i choosed the 640X480 size and still do. You can go to at photobucket to a maximum size of 600X800 for this forum here.

Hope this helps. :wink: :wink:
Ihr seid`s ja wahnsinnig !! - Gerhard Polt

www.grandnationalstockcars.de.tl/

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 18:04

Hi folks

I went into my photobucket account and reset the upload facility to 600x800 and then uploaded new copies of the pics. I then substituted the pics that were uploaded with the new versions. I am hoping that this has been effective in sorting the pics out on the thread.

Hubra, can you get back to me if the pictures are still wrong? Thanks to all for looking in on the build.

Nige

Hubra

Realname: Michael

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 18:12

Hallo Nige. :wink:

The pictures are now in order. :ok:

Thank you. :hand:

Gruß Micha.

Hier geht es zu den Videos von meinen Blaulichtern, aktuell auch zum Video der Drehleiter

Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 20:16

I have been marking out the tread pattern on the tire blank and am waiting the kettle boiling for a cuppa before setting about engraving the pattern with either pyrograve, drill tools or a combination still to be decided !!!!!!!!!!!

Here is where I got to so far !!!!!!!!!!!!

Coffee, some shortbread and a break to get my head ready for carving !!!!!!

Nige

Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012, 03:32

Well Plan A did not work too well as the etching tool on the mini drill was too wide and too rough to etch clean, narrow troughs. I knew I had to try it out simply to know what the limitations of the etching tool are when doing such fine work !!!!!!!!!!!

As I said though, this piece is very much a practice piece and I have been able to simply carve away the tread and reduce the diameter of the blank so that I can now try Plan B ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, adding the nubs to a flat strip in the right pattern and hopefully get a nice even tread !!!!!!!!!!!!

To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before (OK LOADS HAVE GONE BEFORE) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it is a first for me !!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck !!!!!!!!!!

More to follow

Nige

Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012, 23:43

Well this is Plan B started !!!!!!!!!!! And it does help if you have 32 nubs like the original, not 28 as I had miss-calculated on the blank before !!!!!!!!!!!! Measure twice, cut once (or drill,,,,,,,,,,,, or sand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,or whatever) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

360 divided by 32 equals 11.25 degrees per nub !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Setting out by angle proved far more accurate than trying to set out with a compass around the circumference !!!!!!!!! Lesson learned !!!!!!!

Using a black piece of sprue, I cut the inner nubs out using my multi-angle guillotine with a necessary adaption of a catchers mitt (a clear sandwich bag weighted down inside) to catch the cut nibs before they can become carpet fodder !!!!!!!

To see the size of cut I wanted to make, I added a sheet of white paper with a very basic measure drawn on it !!!!! I would love to add a more substantial butt stop and measure gauge and would be interested to see what others have maybe added to theirs !!!!!!!!

Adding the nubs to the blank was very easy and quick to get the pattern !!!!!!! The outer nubs have still to be designed and cut, but that will be another day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have made the nibs much larger than needed so that I can gently sand them down all together to the finished tread depth !!!!!! Not sure if to sand them with a slight oversize so that there is less risk of resin shrinkage on the treads !!!!!!!!!!! What do the folks who cast regularly think on this proposal ?????????????

Nige

Sonntag, 1. Juli 2012, 04:00

This is the Michelin XZL 395/85R20

It means the tyre is 395mm width outer side wall to inner side wall at its widest point.

The aspect ration is 85% of the width = 335mm from hub rim to tread surface.

R = Radial

20 = 20 inch diameter wheel or 500mm diameter.

Will paste some superglue in the joints and then sand tomorrow !!!!!!!! Tread and side wall will get sanded down !!!!!!!!

More tomorrow !!!!!

Nige

Realname: Roland

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 1. Juli 2012, 07:42

HI Nigel :wink:
The next 8o 8o 8o :sabber: :sabber: :sabber: :respekt: :dafür: - project from you 8o 8o And if you will make you such work only with the tires, what will follow with the rest 8o 8o
wfg :wink:
Roland :thumbup:

I hope my english was possible to understand :nixweis: ;)
ALLE Menschen sind frei und gleich an Würde und Rechten geboren

Das Horn Helm Hammerhands soll erschallen in der Klamm, ein letztes Mal.
Dies Möge die Stunde sein da wir gemeinsam Schwerter ziehen, Grimmetaten erwachet auf zu Zorn, auf zu Verderben und blutig Morden

„Selbst das wildeste Tier kennt doch des Mitleids Regung“ - „Ich kenne keins und bin deshalb kein Tier“

Sonntag, 1. Juli 2012, 08:04

Hello Nigel,

phew, what a project. You're a brave man :ok: I was very keen to see your solution for the tyres since currently I have a similar problem with my Mercedes 190 SL. But you are modelling truck tyres - wouldn't fit on a 60-year-old sports car :lol:
Nevertheless you are doing a great (and nerve-stretching) job. I'll keep my fingers crossed lad!

Greets from rainy Bavaria,
Uli
Aktuell im Bau:
Krupp Titan SWL 80 von Revell
1969 Ford Talladega von AMT/Ertl

Zuletzt erfolgreich fertiggestellt:
Citroen 2CV Charleston von Revell

Realname: Daniel

• Nachricht senden

Sonntag, 1. Juli 2012, 09:44

Hi Nigel.

Here you can see another way to make tires, but I don´t know if it´s possible for you.

Regards
Daniel
ALFA ROMEO - Geschmack macht einsam!

Montag, 2. Juli 2012, 13:50

HI Nigel :wink:
The next 8o 8o 8o :sabber: :sabber: :sabber: :respekt: :dafür: - project from you 8o 8o And if you will make you such work only with the tires, what will follow with the rest 8o 8o
wfg :wink:
Roland :thumbup:

I hope my english was possible to understand :nixweis: ;)

Roland, your English is far better than I could achieve in German, even with PC translating for me. I gave up using translators as a few people have mentioned that they can be far more confusing than if I had not.

I very appreciative of you folks for letting me post on here and putting up with the English text.

I love the work you guys build as well, hence the reason for browsing your forum for many hints and tips.

Thanks for looking in from time to time.

Nigel

Montag, 2. Juli 2012, 13:52

Uli and Daniel

Thanks also fo looking in on the project. Appreciated !!!!!!! I will look over your alternative approach Daniel when I get home as the work PC will not let me access it here.

Here is where I am at with the blank so far

All the nubs are as good as this, but I am happy so far.

Just another 32 to do for the inner side wall !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Montag, 2. Juli 2012, 14:55

Nigel,

I'm sitting here in front of my screen, shaking my head in disbelief while admiring your tenacity in replicating the tyres. If I would be the one building the model, I'd have given up a long time ago, used any stock tyres I could find and called it a day.

Inspirational project. Makes me want to build one of the Austrian Bundesheer's old trucks, the Steyr 680, also nicknamed the "Grablaterne" ("grave lantern"), just because of its rather unique shape...

Montag, 2. Juli 2012, 19:33

Andreas

I would really love to follow your build of that lovely truck with all its curves and detail !!!!!!!!!! A chap called Van Hatten on another forum I pot on has built several vehicles with very complicated curved cabs and his work is especially clever.

If you want a link to his posts, please let me know as his work is inspirational !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the compliments and for looking in on the build.

Nigel

Montag, 2. Juli 2012, 23:37

Well I got some progress on the tire and I am quite chuffed with my first attempt !!!!!!!!!! Is not perfect, but I am not a perfectionist by any stroke of the imagination !!!!!!

I will chuck some lines on it for the side wall beading and cross banding. Will need to figure out how to add the lettering and tire sizing figures. I fancy buying some tiny etched brass numbers and letters but will see how the pennies go.

Hope you like

Nige

Samstag, 7. Juli 2012, 02:42

Added some side wall banding to the tires !!!!!!

Still got the inner side wall banding to do !!!!!!!

Hunt for sprue off cuts as well tomorrow for letter and numbers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Sonntag, 8. Juli 2012, 23:57

A bit of faffing about trying to get the side wall banding and lettering. Had a couple of total disasters that had me sanding back a couple of times. Main problem was oversizing of the lettering.

Here is where it is at now.

Hand cut letters

Dunno if I am happy yet though !!!!!!!! Not sure how much detail will be kept when the master is cast !!!!!!!

Nige

Montag, 9. Juli 2012, 18:11

Hi Nigel,

for the tyre you did a fine modelling job, but the letters are a little bit to ... I don't know how to describe, perhaps is "fuzzy" the best word? What I'm trying to say is, that I think you can do better, more sharper, letters. Take a look at this guy here. In his shop he got self-adhesive letters in several sizes too. I can imagine that these letters, fixed on something like sheet, may give a better look.

Nevertheless, good job (did I already mentioned that?)!!! :ok: Go on Man, you' ll make it!

Greetz,
Uli
Aktuell im Bau:
Krupp Titan SWL 80 von Revell
1969 Ford Talladega von AMT/Ertl

Zuletzt erfolgreich fertiggestellt:
Citroen 2CV Charleston von Revell